With its awe-inspiring beaches, warm waters, tropical climate, and amazing people and culture, Hawaii is one of the best vacation destinations for your family, and its beauty will undoubtedly catch the interest and imagination of your kids. But before visiting Aloha State, it’s vital to check your packing list first and ensure that you have the essentials to protect your kids, meet their needs, and keep them entertained. If you’re unsure which ones to bring, don’t worry! Read below and discover the must-have items when traveling to Hawaii with kids for a smooth and fun experience in paradise!
If your family is from the United States, you no longer need to bring your passports as Hawaii is a non-contiguous state after all. If you’re visiting from other countries, you and your kids need passports and valid visas or ESTAs. Of course, bring your IDs, flight tickets, itinerary, and accommodation bookings. Typically, kids under the age of 16 don’t need to present a valid ID but bring a copy of their birth certificates instead. They will become handy if a need to prove your childrens’ citizenship or relationship at any point during the trip arises.
This one is a giveaway, but it’s everything’s worth mentioning, given that packing for any trip can be a daunting task. Here are some gadgets you need to bring as you travel to Hawaii with kids.
- Smartphones: Another gimmie, but you can do nearly everything on your smartphone, from booking tours, checking the weather, finding restaurants, to searching the best places to visit in the islands. If possible, you can bring in an extra smartphone for you to have something to use in the event of a mishap.
- Chargers: Bring chargers of all your family’s electronic devices and keep them organized in one packing cube. Depending on your originating country, you may need to purchase a plug or voltage converter to charge your devices.
- Headphones or earphones: Not all airlines provide free earphones or headphones during flights, so it’s better to have your own.
- Tablets/iPad: Give your kids a break from regulated screen time and allow them to indulge in games or cartoon shows on their tablets or iPad when you fly. These gadgets will keep them busy, especially for long flights or travel hours.
- Camera: While your phone may have cameras, digital cameras boast superb quality and versatility. Bringing your camera gear and accessories will allow you to capture stunning photos of your kids with a breathtaking backdrop of the islands.
While toys may occupy some space in your tight luggage, bringing them can do wonders in avoiding rough flights on your way to Hawaii, as toys serve as a good distraction. Meanwhile, toys can also level up your kids’ experience on the beach. You can bring compact sand toys consisting of a pail, shovel, and a few sand molds to keep them happy on the beach. Floaties are also a great addition to your packing list if you know your kids are fond of water.
From clothing, snacks, medications to toiletries, here’s a rundown of travel essentials you need for a worry-free journey in Hawaii with your kids.
- Clothing: A perk of visiting Hawaii is everything appears to be casual. That means shorts, t-shirts, and sundresses are ample enough to keep everyone comfy. If you’re planning to hike, you can throw in jackets as the weather in the Hawaiian mountains can be pretty tricky. Adding a polo shirt for your boys and a pretty dress may also be handy, in case you’re planning to get dinner out. For babies and preschoolers, expect that blowouts may happen, so better bring extra change clothing to be safe.
- Swimwear: Hawaii is a tropical oasis and lots of stellar beaches, which your kids can enjoy. Bring swimsuits for the girls and trunks for the boys, but if you want to keep them protected from the harsh sun rays, rash guards are your best choice.
- Flip-flops: Your family doesn’t need to sport fancy footwear in Hawaii. You can wear flip-flops pretty anywhere to the store, beach, or restaurants. Sneakers will come in handy if your family loves to hike. There are many beautiful, kid-friendly trails you can hike in the islands.
- Medications: You’ll never know when your kids might suffer from headaches, motion sickness, or tummy issues, so it’s better to have over-the-counter drugs available in your bag. If anyone in the family is taking prescribed medicines for specific health conditions, keep the medication in their bottles and bring support prescriptions for you to show should you be questioned by any security.
- Snacks: Toddlers love snacks. Bring lots of the healthy ones in your backpack, not only to keep them satiated but also to keep them busy, quiet, and preoccupied during long trips.
- Toiletries: Toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, soap, face wash, moisturizers, and wipes – all that keeps everyone clean and fresh on your stay.
- Additional protection from the sun: Bring sunscreen for you and your kids to protect everyone from the damaging sun rays. Hats and sunglasses are an excellent sun-defense too. They cover the eyes and the majority of the face, parts of the body travelers often overlook.
That’s the rundown of the must-have items you need in Hawaii to make your visit with your kids a seamless and delightful one. Be sure to explore everything you can on the islands and create Hawaiian memories with your family that will last a lifetime. Happy and safe travels!